Location: Fort St. John
Employment Status: Full-time
Metro Testing & Engineering Ltd. is looking for an Intermediate to Senior Geotechnical Engineering Lead to join our team in supporting the geotechnical and materials testing needs of the Peace River region of British Columbia. This is a dynamic opportunity with abundant room for growth and professional development due to the wide range of projects that Metro works on. The successful candidate will be a mentor and leader within the organization, working closely with management on complex projects and issues that arise as well as assisting and developing the careers of younger members of the team.
Established in 2005 in Fort St. John, BC, Metro Testing & Engineering has become one of the largest geotechnical and materials engineering companies in northern BC. Employee owned with a supportive, family atmosphere, our company values teamwork, integrity, mentorship, and a commitment to delivering exceptional service with the mindset of putting people first. We employ up to 40 engineers, geoscientists, technologists, and technicians, with 280 employed company-wide.
- BE in Civil/Geotechnical Engineering or equivalent
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC (EGBC).
- 10+ years of geotechnical experience in Canada (5+ years with P.Eng. status)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability and desire to lead and mentor younger staff.
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills.
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Provide technical expertise and/or direction to project teams / technical staff within the organization as well as directly with external clients.
- Conduct geotechnical field investigations and prepare recommendations and reports for projects relating to foundation design, MSE wall design, slope stability, asphalt and concrete road structure design, materials testing, and other geotechnical related design; monitoring of construction activities
- Experience with civil and geotechnical design software such as gINT, AutoCAD, and Geostuio
- Demonstrated track record in the market sectors of Oil & Gas, Energy, and Transportation would be beneficial.
- Instrumentation installation and monitoring, vibrating wire piezometer, slope inclinometers, pneumatic piezometers
- High strain dynamic load testing (PDA), CAPWAP, WEAP
- Pile installation of CIP, driven steel and helical piles
- Contribute to the development of proposals/cost estimates and participate in the process of securing new business opportunities or expanding the scope of existing projects
- Develop and manage relationships with clients and field personnel.
- Provide practical and economic solutions to clients
- Review project scope, goals, and deliverables during proposal stage
- Coordinate projects with respect to time, budget, and scope
- Coordinate project resources
- Track deliverables
- Monitor and provide project status updates
What we offer
Metro’s Fort St. John office offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits plan, and a moving allowance with subsidized temporary housing if needed and available . In addition, Metro strives to provide a supportive, fun environment full of opportunities for professional growth and development..
More about us
Our custom-built, 7000 ft² office and lab in Fort St John houses advanced testing equipment for soils, concrete, asphalt, and aggregate, to help us serve the Peace River region and beyond. In 2015, Metro Testing + Engineering opened a location in Terrace, BC, expanding the reach of our services to the North Coast and Skeena-Bulkley Valley region.
Fort St. John, in the Peace River District, is located at the foothills of the Northern Rockies and offers plenty of amenities to suit you (and your family’s) needs. Fort St. John has a very strong community feeling with an abundance of young families and ample programs and activities geared towards children and families. Whether you are young or old, the city and surrounding area is perfect for golfing, camping, hiking, fishing, or boating in the summer and snowshoeing, cross-country or downhill skiing and ice fishing in the winter. Depending on your interests there are numerous clubs and activities to join, and much to explore in the north. Due to the amount if activity in Fort St. John, the airport has direct flights to major centers making travelling and vacationing easy.
Interested in joining our team?
Let us know why Metro Testing & Engineering appeals to you, and what you bring to the position. Submit your cover letter, resume, and further documentation. Thank you for your interest, we look forward to reviewing your application.